The holiday season is a great time to add flair to a southern recipe. We have created this wonderful, creamy Spinach, Shrimp and Grits Soufflé that would be a new and interesting dish at any holiday breakfast or brunch.
- 2 lb of 70-90 shrimp (cooked and chopped)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 6 large eggs
- 1 tsp. minced garlic
- 5 tbsp. butter
- 8 c water
- 1/4 c shredded Parmesan Cheese
- 1 c shredded White Cheddar
- 1 1/2 c shredded Monterey Jack Cheese
- 1 (10 ounce) box of chopped frozen spinach
- 3 c old fashioned grits or instant
- 1 tbsp. melted butter
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Butter two 9-inch springform pans or coat with vegetable spray.
- In a medium saucepot, bring water to a boil with a large pinch of salt or chicken bullion. Whisk in the grits.
- Cover and simmer over low heat, whisking often , for 15-20 minutes for old fashion grits, and 4-5 for instant grits. Transfer the grits to a large mixing bowl.
- In a large skillet, elt butter over medium heat.
- Add spinach, garlic, and sauté for 3-5 minutes.
- Then add in the shrimp and cook until they begin to curl and turn pink.
- Blend Monterey Jack, White Cheddar, spinach and shrimp mixture all into the grits. Season with salt and pepper, add eggs and blend well.
- Pour half of the mixture into each of the prepared pans.
- Sprinkle the soufflé with Parmesan cheese and melted butter.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until golden brown.
- Let cool in the pans for 15 minutes. Remove the rings and cut the soufflés into wedges and serve.