Easy homemade cinnamon rolls made right in the crock pot, topped with cream cheese icing. This is a great holiday recipe to make with family and friends.
- 1 1/3 c warm water
- 1 tbsp. active dry yeast
- 2 tbsp. honey
- 3 1/2 c flour
- 1 tsp. salt
- 4 tbsp. butter, completely softened
- 1/2 c sugar
- 1/4 c brown sugar
- 1 tbsp. cinnamon
- 2 tbsp. butter, softened
- 2 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 3 c powdered sugar
- 2 1/2 tbsp. milk
- Add water, yeast, and honey to the bowl of a stand mixer fitting with a dough hook and stir to combine. Allow to rest for 5 minutes (mixture will rise and foam).
- Add flour and salt to bowl. Turn the mixer on low and allow to mix until ingredients come together, then increase mixing speed to medium-low for 5 minutes. Remove dough from bowl and allow to rise for 10 minutes on a lightly floured surface.
- While dough is rising, prepare the filling by whisking together sugars in a bowl.
- Use a floured rolling pin to roll rough into a 9x15 inch rectangle. Use a pizza cutter to trim off the sides if it is not perfectly rectangular. Spread softened butter over the surface of the dough Sprinkle cinnamon-sugar mixture over the butter.
- Tightly roll one 15-inch side (the long side) of the dough toward the other 15-inch side to create a long log. Pinch the seam so it closes off the log. use a very sharp knife or a pizza cutter to cut the ends off and then to cut the log into 10-12 equal parts.
- Line your slow cooker with foil (lightly greased) or parchment paper. Place cinnamon rolls swirly-side up/down side by side in the slow cooker. Place a paper towel in the lid of your slow cooker (this will keep condensation from dripping onto your cinnamon rolls). Turn your slow cooker to highand cook for 1 1/2 - 2 hours. (Check them at 1 1/2 and let them cook a little longer if they are sill a little doughy.)
- For the frosting, cream together butter and cream cheese for 2-3 minutes until very fluffy. Add vanilla and mix until smooth. Add powdered sugar one cup at a time, mixing after each, and add milk 1 tablespoon at a time until frosting is smooth and spreadable/porable. Spread or drizzle over warm cinnamon rolls.