- 1/2 c butter
- 1/2 small yellow onion, diced
- 1/2 c all-purpose flour
- 4 c whole milk
- 2 tsp. smoked paprika
- 2 tsp. hot sauce
- 1 (8 oz) package cream cheese, softened and cubed
- 4-oz jar pimentos, diced
- 1 1/2 c yellow cheddar cheese, shredded, divided
- 3/4 c Monterey Jack cheese, shredded, divided
- 1 lb fusilli, cooked, drained
- 1/3 c soda crackers, crushed
- 1/8 tsp. kosher salt, to taste
- 1/8 tsp. black pepper, to taste
- Heat oven to 350°. Grease a 13x9 inch casserole dish with non-stick spray.
- Add butter to a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Once melted, add the onion and sauté until tender, about 4 minutes.
- Stir in the flour, and cook for 2 minutes, until pasty.
- Slowly whisk in the milk, and cook, while stirring, until the mixture is thick, about 3 minutes.
- Season the mixture generously with salt and pepper, smoked paprika and hot sauce.
- Stir in the cubed cream cheese until it melts, add the pimentos then stir in 1 3/4 cups cheddar and 3/4 cup Monterey Jack.
- Stir the mixture all together until smooth. Stir in the pasta and add to the casserole dish.
- Sprinkle the top of the casserole with crushed crackers and the remaining 1/4 cup cheddar and 1/4 cup Jack.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, until golden and bubbly.