Pancakes aren’t just for breakfast anymore. Filled with creamy chicken and topped off with savory mushrooms, this reinvented breakfast staple is an elegant addition to any weeknight meal.
- Prep Time: 15m
- Cook Time: 20m
- Total Time: 35m
- Serves: 8 people
- Category: Entrees
- 1 1/4 c buttermilk
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 2 egg yolks, beaten
- 1 c enriched flour
- 2 tsp. sugar
- 3/4 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 2 tbsp. butter, softened
- 2 egg whites, stiffly beaten
- 2 tbsp. grated Parmesan cheese
Chicken Filling and Mushroom Sauce
- 1/2 stick + 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 c + 2 tablespoons enriched flour
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 c chicken broth
- 2 c cooked chicken, shredded
- 2/3 c sliced mushrooms
- 1/4 c half and half
- Beat buttermilk and soda into egg yolks with rotary beater or use electric mixer at low speed.
- Sift together flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Add to egg yolks mixture along with butter.
- Beat until smooth. Fold in egg whites.
- Heat griddle or heavy frying pan.
- Coat lightly with shortening or vegetable oil.
- Drop batter from 1/3-cup measure onto the griddle to make 5″ pancakes.
- When cakes are full of bubbles and edges are cooked well, turn cakes and cook on other side.
- When pancakes are done, put a tablespoon of chicken filling on each pancake, roll.
- Top with mushroom sauce and sprinkle with parmesan cheese.
- Broil until golden.
- Melt butter, blend in flour and salt, gradually stir in broth, and cook until thick, stirring constantly.
- Reserve half of this sauce for the mushroom sauce.
- To the other half, add chicken, and heat thoroughly.
- Stir mushrooms and cream into reserved sauce. Heat.