- 2 c milk
- 2 c water
- 1 c grits
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1 c heavy cream
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup butter
- 1 to 2 cups freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 1 lb shrimp, peeled
- 1/4 -1/2 lb. baby spinach, baby turnip greens, or arugula
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Bring the milk and water to a simmer in a heavy-bottomed non-stick saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the grits and the garlic clove and bring just to the boil.
- Cook until soft and creamy, adding heavy cream as needed to make a loose but not runny mixture.
- Add as much butter and cheese as desired, stirring to make sure the cheese doesn’t stick.
- Add the shrimp and cook a few minutes more until pink.
- Fold in the washed and dried greens and remove from the heat. The greens will cook in the hot grits.
- Serve in a chafing dish for a party or individually for an appetizer or main course.