- 1/4 c fresh lemon juice
- 2 tbsp. white wine vinegar
- Kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp. sugar
- 2 pinches of celery seeds, finely ground in a mortar and pestle
- 1 large rib of celery, halved lengthwise and sliced very thinly on the bias (3/4 cup)
- 2 tbsp. sour cream
- 1 tbsp. high-quality mayonnaise
- 8 oz fresh (non-pasteurized) blue crab meat (lump, backfin, or claw, or combination thereof)
- 1 tbsp. finely chopped fresh chives
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Paprika, for garnish (optional)
- In a small bowl, whisk together the lemon juice, vinegar, 2 tablespoons of cold water, 1 teaspoon salt, the sugar, and celery seeds. Add the celery; the liquid should completely cover the sliced celery.
- Cover the bowl and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Drain the celery, reserving the liquid.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the sour cream and mayonnaise with 1 tablespoon of the celery liquid until thoroughly combined.
- Flake the crab meat into the dressing, add the celery and the chives, and stir to combine.
- Season to taste with salt, black pepper, and reserved celery liquid.
- The salad tastes best when given time for the flavors to meld; refrigerate for at least 1 hour— though not more than 24 hours—and remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before serving to bring to room temperature. Garnish with paprika, if desired.