- 8 oz kumquats (about 2 cups), sliced crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick coins
- 2 pinches of kosher salt
- 1 (750-ml) bottle London dry gin, such as Brokers or Tanqueray
- 3/4 ounce (11/2 tablespoons) Kumquat gin
- 1 slice gin-steeped kumquat
- 5 oz (generous 1/2 cup) sparkling white wine, chilled
- Put the kumquats in a quart-size canning jar and add the salt.
- Pour the gin into the jar. (You will have about 1/2 cup leftover gin; reserve and add to the jar as the kumquat gin gets depleted.)
- Screw the top onto the jar and let steep for 24 hours at room temperature before using.
- (The gin will keep for up to 6 months at room temperature. Use the sliced kumquats to garnish drinks.)
- Pour the gin into a champagne flute or coupe glass, and add the kumquat slice.
- Top up the glass with the sparkling white wine and serve.