- 1 lb (4 cups) Cracker Barrel® sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 c unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 c shortening, at room temperature
- 2 1/2 c all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. dry mustard
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Grate the cheese using a rotary grater or the finest setting on a box grater.
- With a mixer on medium to high speed, cream the butter and shortening until soft.
- Add the cheese and mix well.
- Sift the flour, salt, mustard, and cayenne pepper together in a separate bowl. Add to the cheese mixture in three additions, mixing well after each addition.
- Fill a cookie press with the cheese dough.
- Using the saw-toothed disk, dispense onto a cookie sheet. Each cheese straw should be about 1 inch in length.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, or until the cheese straws are just starting to turn golden brown at the edges.
- Carefully transfer the cheese straws to a wire rack for cooling.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 1 month.