- 2 lb yellow squash, cut into ½-inch-thick slices
- 2 tbsp. bacon drippings
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 c mayonnaise
- 1/3 c heavy cream
- 1/4 c sour cream
- 3/4 tsp. Salt
- 1/4 tsp. Freshly ground pepper
- 6 oz sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (1 ½ cups)
- 35 round, buttery crackers, crushed
- Arrange squash in a steamer basket over boiling water. Cover and steam 12 to 16 minutes or until fork-tender. Cool 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Melt the bacon drippings in a small skillet.
- Add onion; sauté 5 minutes or until tender. Transfer to a bowl. Stir in mayonnaise, next 4 ingredients, and 1 cup cheese until well blended.
- Add squash and crushed crackers; stir well.
- Pour mixture into a lightly greased 8-inch square baking dish, and top with remaining ½ cup cheese.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes or until lightly browned.