- 1 small butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and chopped or sliced
- 3 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 tsp. sea salt, plus more to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 3 c water
- 1 c stone-ground yellow grits
- 1 c milk
- 1 c freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1 tbsp. rosemary, plus more for garnish
- 1/2 c crumbled Gorgonzola or other blue cheese
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Toss the squash with the olive oil to coat evenly and season with salt and pepper, to taste. Spread in a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet and bake until golden brown around the edges, 30-35 minutes, stirring halfway through.
- While the squash is baking, bring the water to a boil in a large saucepan. Add the 2 teaspoons salt and slowly add the grits in a steady stream, whisking constantly. Reduce the heat to low and cook and stir until the grits begin to thicken, for 15-20 minutes. Add the milk and continue to cook and stir until the grains are tender and the mixture is thick, for 5 more minutes.
- Remove from the heat and add the Parmesan cheese, butter, and rosemary, stirring to melt. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Place the grits on a platter or divide evenly between individual serving plates and scatter the roasted squash on top. Top with the Gorgonzola, garnish with rosemary, and serve warm.