- 1 tbsp. pure olive oil
- 1 sweet onion, chopped
- 3 large garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 (28-ounce) can no-salt-added whole tomatoes
- 2 (14.5-ounce) cans of low-sodium pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 carrot, grated
- 3 c low-sodium tomato juice
- 2 bay leaves, preferably fresh
- ¼ cup ground dried red chiles
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. ground coriander
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper, or to taste
- Coarse kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Heat the oil in a large heavy-bottomed pot over medium heat.
- Add the onion and cook until soft and translucent, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, 45 to 60 seconds.
- Add the tomatoes, beans, turkey, and carrot.
- Using a wooden spoon, break up the turkey, then add the tomato juice.
- Bring to a boil over high heat.
- Decrease the heat to simmer and add the bay leaves, ground chiles, cumin, coriander, and cayenne pepper.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until the turkey is tender and the flavors have married, about 30 minutes.
- Taste and adjust for seasoning with salt and pepper.
- Ladle into warmed bowls and serve immediately.