Make any dessert dazzling with a meringue shell and chocolate mousse. It’s sweet, crunchy, and fluffy!
- Prep Time: 45m
- Cook Time: 46m
- Total Time: 1h 52m
- Serves: 12 servings
- Category: Dessert
- 6 large egg whites
- 1 tsp. white vinegar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. cream of tartar
- 1/2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs, room temperature
- 2 c heavy whipping cream
- 1 c chocolate chips
- German Chocolate bar (for shaving topping=garnish)
- Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 225°. Add vinegar, vanilla, salt and cream of tartar to egg whites; beat on medium speed until foamy. Gradually add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high after each addition until sugar is dissolved. Continue beating until stiff glossy peaks form.
- Cut a small hole in the tip of a pastry bag or in a corner of a food-safe plastic bag; insert a large star tip. Transfer meringue to bag. On a parchment paper-lined baking sheet, pipe meringue into twelve 3-in. round disks, building up the sides with meringue to form shells. Bake 45-50 minutes or until set and dry. Turn off oven (do not open door); leave meringues in oven 1 hour. Remove from oven; cool completely on baking sheet.
- Whip heavy whipping cream until a soft firm peak forms. Set aside.
- Melt chocolate morsels in a bowl over boiling water or in the microwave for about 45 seconds until the morsels start to melt. Once they start to melt mix them until fully creamy and melted.
- Mix together egg yolks and chocolate. Pour the yolk, chocolate mixture into the fluffy homemade whipped cream and fold over to combine.
- Whip egg whites until a fluffy stiff peak forms. Add the egg whites to the fluffy chocolate mixture and fold together to combine.