- 1/2 c unsalted butter
- 4 c fresh blackberries
- 1 c sugar, plus more for blackberries
- 1 c all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 1 c whole milk
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- Whipped cream, or ice cream, for serving
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place blackberries in a large bowl. Using a potato masher, mash blackberries to release their juices. If blackberries are tart, sprinkle with sugar.
- Melt butter in a large cast iron skillet or ovenproof baking dish in the oven, 5 to 7 minutes.
- In another large bowl, whisk together sugar, flour, baking powder, and salt. Add milk and vanilla extract; mix until well combined.
- Carefully remove skillet with melted butter from oven. Pour flour mixture into skillet, on top of butter, without stirring. Do not mix together.
- Spoon blackberries into batter one spoonful at a time. Do not mix.
- Transfer skillet to oven and bake until top is golden brown and a cake tester inserted into the batter comes out clean, about 50 minutes.
- Serve warm, with ice cream if desired.