- Floured baking spray
- 3 c granulated sugar
- 2 1/4 c Wesson® vegetable oil
- 3 ripe bananas, chopped
- 5 large eggs, at room temperature
- 2 1/4 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 4 1/2 c cake flour
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 3/4 c pecans, chopped
- 12 oz crushed pineapple, drained
- 1 stick unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 16 oz cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1 tbsp. pure vanilla extract
- 2 lb confectioners’ sugar
- Preheat the oven to 325F. Grease and flour four 9-inch pans lined with parchment paper.
- Beat the sugar, oil, and bananas in the bowl of a stand mixer on low speed until bananas are broken down, about 3 minutes.
- Scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl.
- Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add the vanilla and beat well.
- Combine the cake flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon in a bowl and mix with a wire whisk.
- With the mixer on low, add the flour mixture slowly and beat until well blended.
- Scrape the sides of the bowl and incorporate any unmixed batter if necessary.
- Beat the batter for 7 minutes on medium speed.
- Add the crushed pineapple and chopped pecans to the batter and mix until well blended.
- Divide the batter evenly between the four prepared pans. Tap the pans on the counter to ensure there are no air bubbles.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes. Test doneness by touching a cake top. If it springs back, it is done. If the indentation stays, it needs 2 to 3 minutes longer.
- Cool the cakes for at least 10 minutes on a cooling rack before removing from the pans
- Cream the butter and cream cheese in the bowl of a stand mixer for 3 minutes. At the end of the 3 minutes, scrape the bowl extremely well.
- Add the vanilla extract and beat for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Slowly add the confectioners’ sugar, beating on low to ensure the sugar does not fly out of the mixing bowl.
- After each addition of confectioners’ sugar, scrape the bowl extremely well.
- Once all the confectioners’ sugar is incorporated, beat on low speed for 3 minutes.
- Spread icing between the cake layers and then on the top and sides of the stacked layers.