- Floured baking spray
- 1/2 c water
- 4 oz Baker’s® German’s sweet chocolate
- 1 c unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2 c granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs, at room temperature
- 3 c cake flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 c buttermilk, at room temperature
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 2 1/3 c sweetened coconut flakes
- 2 c pecans, chopped
- 1 c unsalted butter
- 2 c evaporated milk
- 2 c granulated sugar
- 8 large egg yolks
- 2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Grease and flour three 9-inch pans lined with parchment paper.
- Heat the water and chocolate together in a microwave for about 1 minute. Stir the mixture. Place in the microwave again if needed to melt the chocolate. Allow the chocolate to cool before adding it to the other ingredients.
- Cream the butter and sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer on medium speed for 5 minutes, or until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl very well.
- Add the chocolate mixture and combine.
- Combine the cake flour, baking soda, and salt in a bowl and mix with a wire whisk.
- Combine the buttermilk and vanilla in a liquid measuring cup.
- Alternately add the flour mixture and the buttermilk mixture, beginning and ending with the flour mixture, beating until well blended.
- Scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl and incorporate any unmixed batter if necessary.
- Beat the batter for 3 minutes on medium speed.
- Divide the batter evenly between the three prepared pans. Tap the pans on the counter to ensure there are no air bubbles.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Test doneness by touching a cake top. If it springs back, it is done. If the indentation stays, it needs 2 to 3 minutes longer.
- Cool the cakes for at least 10 minutes on a cooling rack before removing from the pans.
- Place the coconut and pecans in a bowl together and set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat.
- Add the evaporated milk and sugar and bring to a boil.
- Slowly add half of the milk mixture to the egg yolks, whisking vigorously until combined.
- Place the egg mixture back in the saucepan and stir constantly over medium heat for about 3 to 4 minutes, until you see a bubble and the mixture has thickened.
- Pour the egg and milk mixture over the pecans and coconut.
- Add the vanilla and stir until well blended.
- Let the icing cool.
- Once the icing is cool, spread it between the cake layers, sides, and on top.