- 2 lbs. beef eye of round, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 tsp. caraway seeds
- 1 tbsp. tomato paste
- 1 tbsp. raisins
- 1 bottle (12 fl. oz.) stout-style beer (such as Guiness)
- 2 cans (14.5 oz. each) beef broth
- 8 medium carrots, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch slices
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 3 medium yellow onions, sliced into 1/2- inch strips
- 2 tbsp. plus additional canola oil, divided
- 1/4 c all-purpose flour
- 1 bar (4 oz.) NESTLÉ® TOLL HOUSE® Dark Chocolate Baking Bar, chopped
- PLACE beef cubes and flour in a large, resealable plastic bag. Shake to coat all pieces.
- HEAT 1 tablespoon oil in large saucepan or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add some of the beef cubes and brown on all sides.
- Remove browned beef and place in large bowl.
- Continue browning remaining beef cubes with remaining oil. Some additional oil may be needed.
- Remove all beef cubes from saucepan.
- REDUCE heat to medium.
- Add onions to saucepan, adding some additional oil if necessary. Cook about 3 to 4 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally.
- Add garlic; cook another minute or release the aroma of the garlic (do not allow garlic to color).
- Add beef cubes, carrots, broth, beer, raisins, tomato paste, caraway seed, bay leaf and thyme to saucepan; stir well.
- COOK uncovered, over low heat, stirring occasionally, for 1 1/2 to 2 hours or until beef is tender. Remove from heat; discard bay leaf and thyme sprigs.
- Sprinkle chocolate over stew; stir to combine (the chocolate becomes part of the sauce).
- SERVE immediately with a warm, hearty bread, if desired.