Chef William Williams of Seasoned Provisions in Charlotte made this recipe just for the Chef Series we conducted last November. It is simply delicious.
- Prep Time: 15m
- Cook Time: 15m
- Total Time: 30m
- Serves: 4 people
- Category: Dessert
- 2 pears peeled, halved and cored
- 2 c wine (Cabernet Sauvignon), enough that pears are covered with liquid when simmering
- 1 orange, chopped
- 1 1/2 c sugar, plus 2 tbsp, divided
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 6 whole cloves
- 2 c water
- 1/4 c Mascarpone cheese
- 1 pt vanilla bean ice cream
- 4 mint leaves
- In a 3 to 4 qt. saucepan, combine wine, orange pieces, 1 1/2 cup sugar, cinnamon, cloves, and water. Bring to boil over high heat. Add pears, reduce heat to a simmer. Cook, covered, until pears are tender when pierced, about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk together mascarpone cheese and 2 tbsp. sugar until very thick.
- Serve pear halves in shallow bowls, each with about 1/4 cup of the poaching liquid and a dollop of the sweetened cheese and vanilla bean ice cream. Save remaining liquid for another use, such as making hot spiced wine, if you like.