Just like Mama made it! What makes this egg salad special is the use of Durkee, a sandwich spread found near the mustard at the store. You’ll never open my refrigerator without finding a jar of Durkee! If you can’t find it locally, yellow mustard and extra mayonnaise can be substituted. This egg salad was sold as a sandwich in the Café or in 1/2 – or 1- pound containers in our case.
- Prep Time: 45m
- Total Time: 45m
- Serves: 4 people
- Category: Appetizers
- 8 eggs
- 1/4 c Hellman's Mayonnaise (or more if you like your egg salad looser)
- 1 tbsp. Durkee Famous Sauce (don't be afraid to add more)
- 1/3 c sweet pickle relish, drained of juice
- 1/4 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
- In a medium saucepan, cover the eggs completely with water and cover with the lid. Cook over high heat until the water comes to a complete boil and you can hear the eggs \"dancing\".
- Turn off the heat and let the eggs sit for 20 minutes. At the end of that time, take off the lid and run cold water over the eggs until they are cool to the touch. Peel immediately.
- Roughly chop the eggs. They should still be chunky.
- Mix the remaining ingredients together in a large bowl.
- Add the chopped adds and gently mix until incorporated evenly.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 6 days.