This will make more icing than needed, but will last for 3 months in the refrigerator.
- Prep Time: 45m
- Cook Time: 45m
- Yield: One 9” three-layer cake
- Category: Dessert
- 1 c unsalted butter, cold
- 1 1/2 c sugar
- 2 c cake flour
- 1 c white cake mix
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 4 eggs
- 1 1/2 c buttermilk
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp. almond extract
- 1/2 tsp. butter flavor
- 2/3 c amaretto
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 16 oz cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1 tbsp. vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 tsp. almond extract
- 4 1/2 tbsp. amaretto
- 10 1/2 c confectioners' sugar
- Preheat the oven to 275 degrees F.
- In a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, begin creaming the cold butter and gradually add in the sugar. Beat for 20 minutes.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl.
- Whisk the cake flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In a liquid measuring cup, mix buttermilk and flavorings.
- Add white cake mix to the creamed butter and sugar mixture, followed by ⅓ of the buttermilk mixture.
- With the mixer on low, alternate adding the cake flour mixture and remaining buttermilk, starting and ending with cake flour mixture.
- Scrape the sides and bottom of bowl and incorporate any unmixed batter if necessary.
- Mix for an additional 7 minutes.
- While the batter is mixing, prepare three 9” pans with parchment paper, and spray with Baker's Joy.
- Evenly distribute batter into prepared pans.
- Bake layers for 45 minutes, or until set. If it springs back, it is done. If the indentation stays, it needs 2 to 3 minutes longer.
- Cool the cakes for at least 10 minutes on a cooling rack before removing from the pans.
- Prepare the cream cheese icing and ice the cooled layers.
- Cream butter for approximately 2 minutes. Add cream cheese and cream until light and fluffy.
- Scrape the sides and bottom of the mixing bowl.
- Add extracts and amaretto and mix for another 1-2 minutes.
- Slowly add confectioners sugar mixture, scraping down the bowl halfway through. Once all incorporated, mix for an additional 3 minutes.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator until ready to use.