Every Thanksgiving, the debate always returns: streusel topping or marshmallow topping for those creamy sweet potatoes? My brown sugar and pecan topping errs on the side of streusel, but I’d rather not plant my flag on one side or the other.
- Prep Time: 1h 10m
- Cook Time: 45m
- Serves: 7 People
- Category: Sides
- 3 large sweet potatoes (approximately 4 cups cooked)
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup half and half
- ⅔ cup self-rising flour
- ½ cup brown sugar, packed
- ½ cup pecans, chopped
- ½ cup unsalted butter, melted
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Bake the whole sweet potatoes for 1 hour.
- While the potatoes are baking, combine all the ingredients for the praline topping; set aside.
- Remove the baked sweet potatoes from the oven. When they are cool enough to touch, remove the skin and mash the pulp in a large bowl. If you want a creamier mixture, pulse in a food processor.
- Add the remaining filling ingredients to the sweet potatoes and mix until well blended. Scoop into an 8 x 8-inch dish and set aside.
- Dollop the topping evenly over the casserole mixture. It is sticky, but it can most easily be distributed by hand.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until the topping is golden brown and the casserole is bubbling.