- 1 c softened butter
- 3/4 c sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. almond extract
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 4 c all-purpose flour
- 2 lb powdered sugar
- 6 tbsp. meringue powder
- 2 tsp. clear vanilla extract
- 3/4 c water
- In a large mixer, cream together butter and sugar until smooth.
- Beat in eggs, vanilla, and almond extract.
- Mix in the flour, baking powder, and salt increments.
- Separate dough into two portions, flatten and wrap in plastic wrap. Chill dough for at least two hours (or overnight).
- Roll out dough on floured surface 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick. Cut into shapes with any cookie cutter.
- Place cookies on a cookie sheet and freeze for at least one hour or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Bake cookies one inch apart for 9 to 10 mins.
- Place sugar and meringue powder in a mixer and mix at low speed. Do not use a whisk attachment.
- While mixer is on low, add water and vanilla. Mix for 5 to 7 minutes.
- To prevent drying out, keep the bowl and icing tips covered with a damp towel.