- 1/4 c butter
- 2/3 c firmly packed light or dark brown sugar
- 1 20-ounce can pineapple slices, undrained
- 9 maraschino cherries
- 2 large eggs, separated
- 3/4 c granulated sugar
- 3/4 c all-purpose flour
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- Whipped cream and Dang coconut chips (optional)
- Melt butter in a 10-inch cast-iron skillet.
- Spread brown sugar evenly over bottom of skillet.
- Drain pineapple, reserving 1/4 cup juice; set juice aside.
- Arrange pineapple slices in a single layer over brown sugar mixture, and place a cherry in center of each pineapple ring; set skillet aside.
- Beat egg yolks at medium speed with an electric mixer until thick and lemon-colored; gradually add granulated sugar, beating well.
- Heat reserved pineapple juice in a small saucepan over low heat. Gradually add juice mixture to the yolk mixture, beating until blended.
- Combine all-purpose flour, salt, and baking powder.
- Add dry ingredients to the yolk mixture, beating at low speed with electric mixer until blended.
- Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form; fold egg whites into batter.
- Spoon batter evenly over pineapple slices.
- Bake at 325° for about 40 minutes.
- Cool cake in skillet 30 minutes; invert cake onto a serving plate.
- Serve warm or cold with whipped cream and Dang coconut chips, if desired.