- 1 c old-fashioned oats, pulsed briefly in a processor to break them up
- 1/2 c peanuts, finely chopped
- 1/2 c honey roasted peanuts, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp. ground flaxseed or wheat germ
- 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2/3 c creamy peanut butter
- 1/2 c pitted dates, finely chopped (6 to 8 large dates)
- 1/4 c honey
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/4 c water
- 3/4 c unsweetened finely shredded coconut, for rolling
- Place the oats and nuts in a medium skillet over medium heat. Cook, stirring frequently, until the oats turn slightly golden and fragrant, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a medium mixing bowl and stir in the flaxseed, cinnamon, and salt.
- Place the pan back on the stove over low heat. Add the peanut butter, dates, honey, vanilla, and water. Stir until evenly combined (you\'re not \"cooking\" the mixture; warming it just makes it easier to combine). Using a rubber spatula, scrape the mixture into the bowl with the oats/nuts. Stir until evenly combined. Refrigerate the mixture for 5 to 10 minutes, or until cool enough to handle.
- Place the coconut in a shallow bowl. Roll the mixture into tablespoon-size balls, then roll in the coconut to coat. Place the balls in the refrigerator, uncovered, to set until cold, a few hours (or about 45 minutes in the freezer). The bites will keep in a covered container for up to a week in the refrigerator.