- 1 qt milk
- 1/2 c butter
- 1 c coarsley ground grits (not instant)
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. white pepper
- 1/4 c butter
- 5 oz Gruyere cheese, grated
- 3/4 c Parmesan cheese, grated
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Bring the milk to a boil and add 1/2 cup butter.
- Add the grits. Stir constantly for about 5 minutes, or until the grits are thick. Remove the pan from the heat.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Beat well, with an egg beater.
- Add 1/4 cup butter and Gruyere cheese.
- Pour into a greased 2 quart casserole and bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- Continue to bake for another 20 minutes.
- Allow to sit for a few minutes before serving.