- 2 small cornish hens
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 1/2 tsp. dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/2 tsp. lemon zest
- 1/2 tsp. thyme leaves
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 5 tsp. chicken bouillon base
- 2 c hot water
- 1/2 c butter, unsalted
- 1 c Uncle Ben’s® rice
- 1/2 c celery, chopped
- 1/2 c green onions, chopped
- 1/2 c slivered almonds
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Combine the olive oil and herbs in a small bowl. Brush hens with mixture.
- Place the hens in a casserole dish or on a baking sheet.
- Bake one hour or until internal temperature reaches 165 degrees.
- Remove from the oven and loosely tent with foil before cutting.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and prepare a casserole dish with cooking spray.
- Mix bouillon base in the hot water.
- In a large skillet set over medium heat, melt the butter. Add in the rice and cook to toast the rice slightly. Pour in the bouillon water and stir well to combine.
- Transfer the rice and liquid to a casserole dish (or disposable dish as seen on the show) and cover. Bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and stir in the celery, green onions, and almonds. Return to the oven and bake covered for another 30 minutes.