A potluck favorite for years, Chicken Poppy Seed Casserole is a creamy dish that satisfies during any season. This variation includes egg noodles, which add texture and allow this recipe to serve more people. Crushed Ritz® crackers create a savory and crunchy topping for this Southern classic. Here’s a tip: crush the crackers while they are still in the sleeve to save on mess.
Note: This is a great casserole to make ahead of time and freeze. If you are going to freeze it, stop after step 9. When you decide to bake it, for best results, thaw the casserole overnight in the fridge, then proceed with baking.
- 2 tbsp. poppy seeds
- ½ stick salted butter, melted
- 2 large sleeves Ritz crackers, crushed
- Ground black pepper, to taste
- Salt, to taste
- 1 c sour cream
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cooked and shredded (about 1½ pounds chicken)
- 1 can cream of chicken soup
- ¾ teaspoon chicken base
- 1 (4-ounce) can sliced mushrooms, drained
- ½ cup onions, diced
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- ½ pound egg noodles
- Preheat the oven to 325F and grease a 7 x 11-inch pan with cooking spray.
- Cook the egg noodles according to the package directions and set aside.
- Melt the butter for the casserole in a large sauté pan over medium-high heat.
- Sauté the onions and mushrooms until the onions are translucent.
- Add the chicken base and mix well.
- Stir in the cream of chicken soup, shredded chicken, and sour cream.
- In a large bowl, mix together the egg noodles and the chicken mixture until well blended.
- Mix together the crushed Ritz crackers, butter, and poppy seeds.
- Pour half of the cracker mixture in the bottom of the pan, pour the casserole mixture in the pan, and top with the remaining cracker mixture.
- Place in the oven and bake for 30 to 40 minutes or until hot and bubbling.