- 3/4 c basil leaves
- 1 c whole milk
- 1 c sweetened condensed milk
- 300 mL heavy cream
- drop of green food coloring (optional)
- 2 c cherry tomatoes, thin skinned heirlooms preferred
- 2 c Bing cherries, pitted
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1/2 c water
- 8 tbsp. butter
- 1 1/2 c self-rising flour
- 2 c sugar, divided
- 1 1/2 c milk
- In a saucepan, heat milk and basil leaves until it comes to a rolling boil.
- Once the milk boils, remove off the gas, cover the saucepan with a lid, and let it rest for 30 minutes.
- Once 30 minutes has passed, blend the milk and basil leaves together in a blender until smooth. Add the sweetened condensed milk and a drop of food coloring for extra green color if desired. Blend until combined.
- Whip the cream until stiff peaks form. Fold in your basil mixture.
- Continue to gently fold until smooth.
- Transfer to a freezer safe container, cover and freeze for at least 4 hours, preferably overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Combine the tomatoes, cherries,1 cup of sugar, lemon zest, and water in a saucepan and mix well. Bring to a boil and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Remove from the heat.
- Put the butter in a 3-quart baking dish and place in the oven to melt.
- Mix remaining 1 cup of sugar, flour, and milk slowly to prevent clumping. Pour mixture over melted butter. Do not stir!
- Spoon fruit gently on top, gently pouring in the syrup.
- Bake for 30-45 minutes or until the edges are golden.
- Serve with a scoop of basil ice cream.