These tomato tarts are simply fantastic! You can adjust the size you cut out of the puff pastry depending on if you’re using this as a plated dish or as a bite-sized appetizer.
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 onion sliced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 sheets puff pastry thawed according to package instructions
- 1 large egg plus 1 teaspoon water beaten
- 2 large tomatoes seeded and diced
- 1/2 cup pepperjack cheese shredded
- Fresh parsley and herbs
- Melt butter and olive oil in skillet over medium heat.
- Add sliced onions to pan, season with salt and pepper and cook, continuing to stir, until tender and golden brown (this process takes a while- up to 20 minutes) then set aside.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Using a round cookie cutter, cut circles of dough out of puff pastry and place on a parchment paper lined baking sheet.
- Brush egg wash on each pastry circle then top each with a tomato slice in the direct center.
- Next add caramelized onions on top of diced tomatos and sprinkle shredded cheese and fresh parsley and herbs on top.
- Bake for 16-20 minutes or until tarts are puffy and golden brown and cheese has turned golden and melty. Cool for a few minutes then serve.