- 1 1/4 c buttermilk
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 2 egg yolks, beaten
- 1 c enriched flour
- 2 tsp. sugar
- 3/4 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 2 tbsp. butter, softened
- 2 egg whites, stiffly beaten
- Beat buttermilk and soda into egg yolks with rotary beater or use electric mixer at low speed
- Sift together flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Add to egg yolks mixture along with the butter.
- Beat until smooth. Fold in egg whites.
- Heat griddle or heavy frying pan.
- Coat lightly with shortening or vegetable oil.
- Drop batter from 1/3-cup measure onto griddle to make 5” pancakes.
- When cakes are full of bubbles and edges are cooked well, turn cakes and cook on other side.