A great fall weekend breakfast treat to share with the family. Go ahead and pick up some apple cider at the Farmers market or the pumpkin patch to use for the syrup, it is the perfect addition to the stuffed French toast. This will be the new breakfast favorite!
- Prep Time: 30m
- Cook Time: 40m
- Serves: 8
- Category: Breakfast
- 1 lb loaf French bread, unsliced
- 8 oz cream cheese, cut into small dices
- 8 large eggs
- 2 1/2 c half-and-half
- 1/3 c unsalted butter, melted
- 1/4 c pure maple syrup
- 1 c chopped pecans
Apple Cider Syrup
- 1/2 c granulated sugar
- 2 tsp. cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 c apple cider
- 1 tbsp. freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tbsp. unsalted butter
- Cut the French bread loaf into cubes. Grease a 9x13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- To assemble, in the prepared baking dish, place half of the bread cubes. Top with the cream cheese cubes and then add the remaining bread cubes.
- In a separate bowl, beat together the eggs, half-and-half, melted butter, and maple syrup until well combined.
- Pour the egg mixture evenly over the bread and cream cheese cubes. Using a spatula, slightly press the layers down to moisten.
- Cover the baking dish with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2 hours up to 24 hours.
- When ready to serve, preheat the oven to 325°F.
- Remove the plastic wrap and top with chopped pecans, if desired. Place the baking dish in the oven and bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until the center is set and the edges are lightly golden brown.
- Let stand for 10 minutes before serving. Top with the apple cider syrup or you can choose to serve the syrup on the side.
Apple Cider Syrup
- In a small saucepan, stir together the sugar, cornstarch, and cinnamon. Stir in the apple cider and lemon juice. *If you can’t find the apple cider, apple juice can be substituted.
- Cook the mixture over medium heat, stirring often. Cook until the mixture becomes thick and bubbly.
- Once the mixture is thick, cook for another 2 minutes and then remove from the heat.
- Stir in the butter until melted.