- 6 qt water
- 1 lb spaghetti (Mary Leopold recommends organic durum wheat semolina)
- 1 stick butter, unsalted
- 1 c Pecorino Romano Cheese, grated
- Bring water to a boil in a large pot over high heat. Add pasta, cook according to directions for al dente consistency. Drain.
- Cut butter into 6-8 pieces annd place in a small saucepan over medium heat. Bring butter to a slow boil, stirring often to prevent the foam from overflowing and residue from sticking. Cook butter untl it is a rich amber color (the milk solids will look brown and separate to the bottom).
- Place one layer of pasta on a serving platter, alternating with a generous amount of cheese, pasta, and finish with cheese on top.
- Drizzle the hot caramelized butter over the top layer. Serve immediately by cutting pasta into squares or rectangles.