- 6 (32 ounce) containers chicken broth
- 4 smoked ham hocks
- 2 medium sweet onions, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2/3 c apple cider vinegar
- 4 tbsp. white sugar
- 1 tbsp. salt, or to taste
- 1 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper, or to taste
- 1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- 3 packages (1 lb) collard greens, trimmed and chopped
- In a large stock pot, combine chicken broth, ham hocks, onions, and garlic.
- Cook mixture over medium heat until meat is falling off the bone, 1 to 2 hours.
- Stir in vinegar, sugar, salt, pepper, red pepper and collard greens into the broth mixture.
- Cook until the greens have reached the desired tenderness, about 2 more hours.