This cobbler is very juicy, but the sweetened berry “sauce” is so delicious it’s worth spooning up. Not to mention the cinnamon and sugar topping that is delightful.
- Prep Time: 20m
- Cook Time: 4h
- Total Time: 4h 20m
- Serves: 8
- Category: Dessert
- Unsalted butter, for greasing insert
- 1/4 c cornstarch
- 2 tbsp. lemon juice (about 1 lemon)
- Two 12-ounce bags frozen mixed berries (about 5 1/2 cups)
- 2/3 c granulated sugar
- 1 1/4 c all-purpose flour
- 3 tbsp. granulated sugar
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- Pinch fine salt
- 4 tbsp. cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 3/4 c milk
- 1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
Whipped Sour Cream Topping
- 1/4 c sour cream
- 1/2 c heavy cream
- 2 tbsp. confectioners sugar
- For the filling: Butter the sides and bottom of the insert of a 6-quart slow cooker. Whisk together the cornstarch, lemon juice and 2 tablespoons water in a small bowl. Add the mixture to the insert, add the berries and granulated sugar and toss.
- For the biscuit topping: Whisk together the flour, 2 tablespoons of the granulated sugar, baking powder and salt in a large bowl. Add the butter and rub the mixture together with your fingers so that it forms a coarse meal with some pea-sized lumps. Add the milk and stir with a wooden spoon to form a wet dough.
- Drop spoonfuls of the dough on top of the berry mixture. Combine the remaining 1 tablespoon granulated sugar and the cinnamon and sprinkle over the dough. Cover the slow cooker and set to high for 3 to 4 hours. The cobbler should be bubbly and the biscuits should be cooked through. Let rest for 20 minutes before serving.
- For the sour cream topping: Meanwhile, combine the heavy cream, sour cream and confectioners\' sugar in a medium bowl and beat with an electric mixture until the mixture forms medium peaks.
- Spoon the cobbler into bowls and top with the whipped sour cream topping.