- 4 tbsp. salted butter, divided
- 2 c portabella mushrooms, cleaned and diced
- 3/4 c green onions, diced
- 2 tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp. chicken base
- 1/2 c whole milk
- 1/2 c half and half
- 1 c heavy cream
- Freshly cracked black pepper, to taste
- Water, as desired
- Melt 1 tablespoon of butter in a soup pot. Sauté the mushrooms and onions in the melted butter.
- In a separate pot, melt the remaining butter and add the flour, whisking constantly until a roux forms. Turn down the heat to low and stir occasionally.
- In a liquid measuring cup, mix the chicken base and milk.
- Turn the heat back to medium and add the chicken-base mixture to the roux, stirring constantly until it thickens. The roux will be thick.
- Add the roux, half & half, and heavy cream to the mushrooms and onions in the soup pot.
- Cook on low heat for 35 to 40 minutes, or until the soup thickens. Serve hot. If the soup becomes too thick, loosen with water.
- For a variation, try adding your favorite sausage!