- 1 c unsalted butter, softened
- 1 c confectioners’ sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 ½ teaspoons almond extract
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. salt
- Red decorator’s sugar
- Green candied cherries, quartered
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a mixing bowl, cream the butter and sugar, until light and fluffy.
- Add in the egg and extracts. Mix well.
- Combine the flour and salt. Gradually add to the creamed mixture.
- Divide the dough in half and wrap in plastic wrap. Chill overnight or until firm.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out one portion of dough to a 12-inch x 10-inch rectangle approximately 1/8-inch thick. Cut into 4-inch squares. In each square, make 1-inch slits in each corner.
- Bring every other corner up into center to form a pinwheel; press lightly. Sprinkle the open flaps of the cookies with red sugar and press a candied cherry piece into the center of each.
- Place 1 inch apart on ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes. Cool 1-2 minutes before removing to a wire rack.