- 1 dozen large scallops
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 c whipping cream
- 1/4 c chicken stock
- 1/8 c white wine
- 1/8 lb low sodium bacon (3 slices)
- 1/3 c fennel, finely chopped
- 1/4 tsp. salt and pepper to taste
- 4 oz fettuccine pasta
- Cook pasta per package instructions, drain, and set aside.
- Chop bacon into small pieces and cook until crisp in a large nonstick sauté pan or cast iron.
- Drain bacon on paper towel, reserving bacon grease. Set bacon aside.
- Add garlic and fennel to the pan and sauté until the fennel begins to soften, 2-3 minutes.
- Add the stock and wine and reduce the volume of the liquid by simmering for a few minutes.
- Add whipping cream, stir, and simmer.
- In a separate heavy-bottomed sauté pan or cast iron pan, heat olive oil until very hot on medium-high heat.
- Pat scallops dry. Lightly salt and pepper the scallops on one side.
- Place in heated pan, seasoned side down, and salt and pepper again.
- Sear for about 2 minutes, or until golden brown crust develops. Flip and repeat on the other side.
- Serve the scallops over the fettuccine with sauce.
- Garnish with bacon.