- 1 c granulated sugar, plus extra for rolling
- 1 stick unsalted butter, softened
- ¼ cup shortening
- 1 large egg
- ¼ cup molasses
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- ½ teaspoon ground cloves
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Beat the sugar, butter, and shortening in a bowl until creamy. Add in the egg and molasses and mix well.
- Combine the flour, salt, baking powder, cloves, ginger, and cinnamon in another bowl and mix well.
- Add to the butter mixture gradually, beating until well combined.
- Place the dough in a bowl and chill for 30 minutes before rolling.
- Roll the dough into 1-inch balls. Roll in sugar to coat. Arrange on a baking sheet and bake for 8 to 10 minutes until the tops begin cracking.