- 16 oz Elbow macaroni
- 1 tbsp. Butter
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- 1 c whole milk
- 1 Egg
- 16 oz Extra sharp cheddar, hand shredded
- 8 oz Monterey jack cheese, hand shredded
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray 2.5-quart casserole dish with Pam. If available, use a glass casserole dish that will allow you to check by site if the cheese and mac is done.
- Cook macaroni per box directions, adding butter, salt and pepper. I like to taste test the water for flavor. Drain macaroni.
- Mix cheeses together, set aside.
- In a separate bowl or measuring cup, mix milk and egg, set aside.
- Cover the bottom of the dish with macaroni. Add a layer of cheese.
- Alternate macaroni and cheese until the dish is almost full (ending with macaroni, but leaving enough cheese for the last layer).
- Pour egg and milk mixture over macaroni.
- Add the last layer of cheese.
- Bake for 45 minutes to an hour, oven dependent. You will be able to see if the mixture is bubbling. If not using a clear baking dish, insert a knife to make sure it’s hot all the way through.