- 1 lb cabbage, sliced into wedges
- 1/4 c finely grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 c bread crumbs
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 leek, trimmed, halved lengthwise, and chopped
- 2 large eggs
- 1 c heavy cream
- 1/2 c freshly grated Swiss or Gruyère cheese
- 1/4 c all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp. caraway seeds
- 1/8 tsp. ground cardamom
- pinch of grated nutmeg
- 1/4 c freshly grated Swiss or Gruyère cheese
- In a large grill pan, or on the grill, cook the cabbage wedges. Grill for about 2 to 3 minutes per side. You are looking for grill marks and a quick cook.
- Remove the cabbage wedges to a cutting board and slice thinly into ribbons. Place the shredded cabbage in a bowl and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F and prepare a 2-quart baking dish with butter or cooking spray.
- Dust the dish with the Parmesan cheese and bread crumbs.
- Set a large sauté pan over medium and add the 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Once the oil is hot, add the chopped leek and sauté until tender, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add in the shredded cabbage and sauté until tender and most of the liquid has cooked off.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, heavy cream, ½ cup cheese, flour, salt, pepper, caraway seeds, cardamom and nutmeg.
- Remove the cooked cabbage and leek mixture from the heat and add it to the mixing bowl. Mix to combine.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared baking dish and cover the top with the ¼ cup cheese.
- Place in the oven and bake for 40 to 50 minutes or until golden on top. Serve hot.