“Packing a hit of chai and gingerbread spice, these
rustic, aromatic wonders are rolled in a crystal coat
of sparkling sugar for a touch of glitter and crunch.”
-Bake From Scratch
- Yield: 9 Cookies
- Category: Dessert
Gingerbread Chai Cookies
- 1/2 cup (113 grams) unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup (150 grams) granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon (4 grams) vanilla extract
- 1 large egg (50 grams)
- 1/4 cup (85 grams) unsulphured molasses
- 2 1/4 cups (281 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons (3 grams) Chai Spice (recipe follows)
- 1 teaspoon (5 grams) baking soda
- 1 teaspoon (2 grams) ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup (200 grams) sparkling sugar
- 1/3 cup (32 grams) ground cardamom
- 2 1/2 tablespoons (15 grams) ground cinnamon
- 4 teaspoons (8 grams) ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons (4 grams) ground cloves
- 2 teaspoons (4 grams) ground black pepper
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Line 4 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- 2. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter, granulated sugar, and vanilla at medium speed until fluffy, 2 to 3 minutes, stopping to scrape sides of bowl. Beat in egg and molasses.
- 3. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, Chai Spice, baking soda, ginger, and salt. With mixer on low speed, gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture, beating until well combined. Using a 1⁄4-cup spring-loaded scoop, scoop dough, and shape into 2-inch balls. Roll balls in sparkling sugar, and place 21⁄2 inches apart on prepared pans.
- 4. Bake until tops are cracked, 15 to 16 minutes. Let cool completely on wire racks.
- 1. In a small bowl, stir together all ingredients.