This filet is absolutely phenomenal! The flavor profile is outstanding and the zucchini gives a nice crunch to this dish.
- Prep Time: 15h
- Cook Time: 30m
- Total Time: 45m
- Serves: 4 people
- Category: Entrees
- 1/4 c champagne vinegar
- 1/2 c dry white wine
- 4 sprigs tarragon
- 1 small shallot, minced
- 1/2 tsp. whole black peppercorns
- 2 egg yolks
- 6 oz unsalted butter, such as Kerrygold
- 4 tbsp. butter
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 4 filet mignon steaks (about 6 oz. each)
- Kosher salt and finely ground black pepper, to taste
- 8 oz lump crabmeat, picked over for shell pieces
- 1 bunch asparagus, trimmed and grilled
- Finely chopped parsley, for garnish
- For the bearnaise:
- In a small saucepan, combine vinegar, wine, tarragon, shallots, and peppercorns. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat then reduce heat to simmer. Cook until reduced to about 1 1/2
- tablespoons of liquid, about 15 minutes. Strain liquid through a fine mesh strainer into a small bowl, set aside and let cool.
- Heat butter in a small saucepan over medium-low heat. Skim and discard film from surface. Pour clarified butter from pan into a bowl, leaving milky sediment behind. Fill a medium saucepan
- with two inches of water; bring to a simmer over medium heat. Add egg yolks and vinegar reduction to a heatproof bowl. Set bowl over the pan and whisk constantly until the yolks thicken, about five minutes. Slowly whisk in clarified butter to make a smooth and velvety sauce. Verify seasoning level and adjust with salt and pepper as needed. Keep sauce warm. If sauce thickens too much, add small amounts of warm water to a pourable consistency.
- For the Zucchini:
- Preheat a grill pan over high heat. Drizzle asparagus with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Add zucchini to grill pan and cook for about 2-3 minutes for crisp tender. Remove from heat and keep warm.
- For the filets:
- Heat 1 tbsp. butter with olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Season filets with salt and pepper and add to skillet; cook, flipping once, until browned and cooked to desired doneness, about 4–5 minutes for medium rare; keep warm.
- Wipe out skillet and melt remaining butter over medium heat. Add crab; cook until warmed, 1–2 minutes. To serve, divide steaks among plates; top with crabmeat and asparagus. Spoon bearnaise over top; garnish with parsley.