- 3/4 lbs fresh or “delicate” fettuccini
- 1 lbs link sausage
- 3/4 c grated pecorino Romano cheese
- 3 large eggs at room temperature
- 4 large egg yolks at room temperature
- salt and fresh ground pepper
- 4 tsp. unsalted butter
- 1 handful (12 leaves) fresh sage
- Preheat your oven to 350.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the eggs and mix in the cheese seasoning with the salt and pepper.
- Bring a large stock pot of salted water to a boil and heat a grill pan or cast-iron skillet over medium heat.
- Sear the sausage in the skillet for 4 minutes on each side, then place in the oven to finish cooking.
- Once the sausage has finished, carefully remove the skillet from the oven and move the sausage to a cutting board to rest.
- Boil the pasta in the stock pot according to al dente package directions.
- Drain the pasta, but reserve a couple cups of the pasta water.
- While the pasta is still piping hot, temper the egg mixture with a ¼ cup of the pasta water then add the pasta to the bowl with the egg mixture.
- Stir the pasta and egg, folding to allow the eggs to be cooked by the hot pasta.
- Quickly melt the butter in the skillet and allow the sage to gently fry, taking care not to burn it while plating the pasta.
- Fill the bowl with the pasta, then slice the sausage and place on top of the pasta.
- Finish each dish with a couple leaves of fried sage and more cheese if desired. Serve immediately.