- 6 pieces white bread
- 1/4 c mayonnaise
- 1/2 red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 green onion, white and tender green parts finely chopped
- 1 tbsp. Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp. Old Bay seasoning
- 1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 dash Worcestershire sauce
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 lb jumbo lump crab meat
- vegetable oil for frying
- Pulse bread in food processor to make very fine bread crumbs.
- Mix together bell peppers, green onions, mustard, Old Bay, cayenne, Worcestershire, and egg yolks. Gently stir in crabmeat, trying not to break apart lumps. Put bread crumbs on cookie sheet. Mold the crab cake with one hand and pat with bread crumbs with the other. Form into cakes, 3 inches wide and ½ inch thick. Each cake will need ¾ cup of bread crumbs. Refrigerate crab cakes overnight.
- Heat 4 cups of oil in a 12 inch wide skillet over medium-high heat. Add a single layer of crab cakes and fry in oil. Turn three or four times until crispy on outside, about 5 minutes on each side. Drain on paper towels. Serve hot.