- 2/3 c dark brown sugar, packed
- 3 tbsp. granulated sugar
- 2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp. ground cloves
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 1 tbsp. butter, melted
- 6 tbsp. unsalted butter, melted, divided
- 3 c unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp. granulated sugar, divided
- 1 1/4 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 1/4 c low fat buttermilk
- 1 1/2 tbsp. cream cheese, softened
- 2 tbsp. low fat buttermilk
- 3/4 c confectioners’ sugar
- splash of vanilla
- Combine the brown sugar, granulated sugar, cinnamon, cloves and salt in a small bowl. Add melted butter and stir with a fork or fingers until the mixture resembles wet sand. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 400℉. Line a 9-inch square cake pan with aluminum foil and brush with one tablespoon butter.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add 3 tablespoons melted butter and buttermilk to the dry ingredients and stir with a wooden spoon until the liquid is absorbed, about 30 seconds. Transfer the dough to a lightly floured work surface. Knead lightly dusting more flour as necessary, until just smooth and no longer shaggy, about 30 seconds.
- Lightly dust the surface again. Pat the dough into a small rectangle, then roll into a 12x9-inch rectangle. Brush the dough with 1 tablespoon of melted butter.
- Sprinkle the dough evenly with the brown sugar filling, leaving ½-inch border. Using your hand, press the filling firmly into the dough.
- Starting at the long side, roll the dough, pressing lightly to form a tight log. Pinch the seam to seal. Roll the log seam-side down and, using a serrated knife, cut it evenly into 9 pieces.
- Turn the pieces over on their flat sides and slightly flatten each piece with your hand to seal the open edges and keep the filling in place.
- Place the rolls in the prepared pan and brush with the remaining tablespoon of butter. Bake until the edges are golden brown, about 15-20 minutes.
- When the rolls are done, use the foil overhang to carefully lift them out of the baking pan and onto a wire rack. Let cool for 5 minutes, then carefully separate the rolls.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the cream cheese and buttermilk until thick and smooth.
- Add confectioner’s sugar and whisk together until smooth glaze forms. Add a splash of vanilla and stir.
- Drizzle the glaze evenly over the rolls.