- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter at room temperature
- 2 c all-purpose flour
- ½ cup unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 c (packed) light brown sugar
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. instant coffee granules
- 3 large eggs
- 2 c unpeeled grated zucchini, from about 1 ½ medium zucchini
- 1 c good-quality bittersweet chocolate chips
- Melted bittersweet chocolate for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and grease an 8-inch springform pan with butter or oil.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. In a food processor, process the sugar and butter until creamy. Add the vanilla, coffee granules, and eggs, mixing well between each addition.
- Reserve a cup of the flour mixture and add the rest to the egg mixture. Mix until just combined; the batter will be thick.
- Add the zucchini and chocolate chips to the reserved flour mixture and toss to coat. Fold into the butter and blend with a wooden spoon - don’t overmix. Pour into the prepared cake pan and level the surface with a spatula.
- Bake for 40 to 50 minutes, until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Transfer to a rack to cool for 30 minutes, run a knife around the pan to loosen the cake, and unclasp the sides of the pan. Let cool to room temperature before serving. Sprinkle with confectioners sugar, glaze with melted chocolate, or decorate with a few slices of raw zucchini.