To me, the most iconic dessert combination is cake and ice cream. That’s why I’ve teamed up with High Road Craft Ice Cream to bring you an unbelievable ice cream sandwich made with my Chocolate Pound Cake from The VeryVera Cookbook and High Road’s Chocolate Chip the and Cream ice cream! Is there any better way to celebrate #NationalIceCreamDay? The texture of the cake when combined with the ice cream is reminiscent of the ice cream sandwich you ate growing up, only 100 times better.
- 1 c unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 3 c granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 c buttermilk, at room temperature
- 2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 c cake flour
- 1 c Hershey’s® cocoa powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 6 large eggs, at room temperature
- Floured baking spray
- 4 pt High Road Chocolate Chip Cookies and Cream Ice Cream, slightly softened
- Chocolate Syrup, as garnish
- Whipped Cream, as garnish
- Preheat the oven to 325°F.
- Cream the butter and sugar in a large bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment on medium speed for 20 minutes, until light and fluffy.
- While the butter and sugar are creaming, measure out the remaining ingredients for the pound cake.
- In a liquid measuring cup, whisk together the buttermilk and vanilla extract.
- In another bowl, whisk together the cake flour, cocoa powder, salt, and baking powder and set aside.
- Once the butter and sugar have finished creaming, scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl.
- With the mixer on low speed, add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl again.
- Let the mixture beat on low speed for 5 minutes.
- With the mixer still on low speed, alternately add the flour mixture and buttermilk mixture, beginning and ending with the flour mixture. Mix until well blended.
- Scrape the sides of the bowl and incorporate any unmixed batter if necessary.
- Prepare two half sheet pans (13” x 18”) with floured baking spray. Spread the batter in the sheet pans, filling each about halfway from the top of the sheet pan.
- Bake the pound cake for 30 to 35 minutes or until the cake begins to pull away from the edges of the pan.
- While the cakes are baking, prepare another half sheet pan by wrapping the entire pan in plastic wrap. Sprinkle a little water on the pan to help the plastic wrap stick to the pan.
- Empty the ice cream containers into the prepared sheet pan and spread the ice cream evenly, covering the sheet pan completely. This is done best with gloved hands so you can pat the ice cream in the pan.
- Place the ice cream pan into the freezer for about an hour.
- When the cakes are finished baking, allow to cool on a cooling rack, then refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Once firm, flip the ice cream onto one cake layer. If the cake needs to be loosened from the pan, run a knife along the edges of the pan. A long flat, metal spatula can also be used to lift the cake layer from the pan.
- Before serving, cut the half sheet pan into 24 rectangles and serve immediately.
- Serve with chocolate syrup and whipped cream and enjoy!