- 1 pkg Pillsbury refrigerated pie crust (2 crusts)
- 2 to 3 cups frozen mixed vegetables (corn, peas, carrots), thawed
- 2/3 c whole milk
- 1/2 c chicken broth
- 1/4 tsp. rubbed sage
- 1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/3 c all-purpose flour
- 1/3 c celery, diced
- 1/3 c white onion, diced
- 1/3 c salted butter
- 4 c cooked chicken (1 rotisserie chicken), hand-shredded
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- Line a 9-10” cast iron skillet with 1 pie crust. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, sauté the butter, onions, and celery until tender.
- Add the flour, salt, pepper and sage and whisk until bubbly.
- Gradually whisk in the chicken broth and milk, stirring constantly until bubbly and thickened.
- Add the vegetables and chicken to the sauce and mix. Remove from the heat.
- Spoon the chicken and vegetable mixture into the crust-lined cast iron.
- Top with the second crust and flute or pinch the edges together. Cut slits in several places before baking. I also recommend a lattice crust.
- Place the cast iron skillet on a sheet pan and place in the oven.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown.
- Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.