For the Soup
- 5 medium acorn squash
- 4 small butternut squash, diced
- 1 tbsp. shallots, chopped
- 2 tsp. garlic, chopped
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg, salt, and white pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp. light brown sugar
- 2 tbsp. sour cream
- 3 c chicken broth
- 2 c heavy cream
- 2 tbsp. honey
For the Cinnamon Cream
- 1/4 c sour cream
- 1/8 tsp. cinnamon
- Kosher salt, nutmeg, and white pepper, to taste
- Remove the tops and a small portion of the bottoms of the squash.
- Scoop out the seeds and the pulp, leaving ¼ inch inside.
- Soak the seeds in saltwater for 10 minutes and roast in 300-degree oven.
- Season the whole squash with salt, white pepper and some of the nutmeg.
- Place in same oven for 25 minutes with the lids.
- In a saucepot, sauté the shallots, garlic and butternut squash.
- Add chicken stock and heavy cream and bring to a simmer until squash is soft.
- Puree until smooth and season to taste with the remainder of nutmeg, salt, pepper, brown sugar and honey.
- Keep warm until service.
- To make the cinnamon cream, stir all ingredients and chill until service.
- For Presentation, ladle 6 to 8 ounces of soup into baked squash.
- Top with cinnamon cream and toasted seeds. Serve with lid on for presentation and then remove.