A family favorite, this Breakfast Casserole finds itself at the table for every celebratory morning occasion, but it should be made the night before. It includes all the breakfast staples, and the little bit of dry mustard adds a tangy flavor and cuts through some of the richness of the dish. Everyone will be begging for Breakfast Casserole, which is simple to prepare but sure to please.
- Prep Time: 20m
- Cook Time: 45m
- Total Time: 1h 5m
- Category: Breakfast
- 6 slices white bread
- 1 pound pork sausage (mild or hot, depending on preference)
- ¼ teaspoon dry mustard
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, hand-shredded
- 2 tablespoons salted butter
- 5 large eggs
- 2 cups half & half
- Tear the bread into ½-inch pieces and place in the bottom of a greased 9 x 13-inch casserole dish.
- Cook the sausage and drain the excess fat.
- Melt the butter in the microwave and pour over the bread pieces.
- Sprinkle the cooked sausage over the bread and butter.
- In a large liquid measuring cup, mix together the eggs, half & half, and dry mustard.
- Pour the egg mixture over the bread and sausage.
- Sprinkle the cheddar cheese over the top of the casserole and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove from the refrigerator and preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Bake uncovered for 45 minutes.
- Serve immediately.