- 1/2 c unsalted butter, softened
- 8 slices sourdough, or bakery-style white bread, cut ¾-inch thick
- 1/2 lb Gouda cheese, grated
- 1/4 c guava paste
- 8 slices cooked, thick-cut bacon, halved crosswise before cooking
- 1 sprig of thyme
- Heat the pan to medium-low temperature.
- Spread butter evenly on one side of each slice of bread; turn bread slices, butter side down, on work surface.
- Divide cheese among 4 slices of bread and top with guava paste.
- Place 4 half-pieces of bacon on top and add other slices of bread to the top.
- Add sandwiches to the pan. Flip sandwiches. Add 1-2 Tbsp butter to pan and add thyme sprig. Tap thyme to release aromatics.
- Cook until golden brown and crispy on both sides and cheese is melted, about 10 minutes.
- Serve sandwiches warm.